In honor of Earth Day, let's throw some love to our Mother by offering up some ideas to honor Her on the big day:
- Go digital on your photography. With tons of great online album options, this can be an eco-friendly - and budget-friendly - decision. Plus the cash you save from doing a traditional album can be put into a few really great frames and photo prints.
- Use recycled paper. Swap out traditional paper for recycled for your invitations. Or, take it a step further and save invitations (and cash) by directing guests online to RSVP and print directions, etc. (One of my favorites: http://www.tasharaedesigns.com) Just be sure to have the option of a phone number for mature or digitally challenged guests.
- Use local vendors. Keep fuel emissions low plus feel good about supporting local businesses.
- A donation in lieu of favors. This is one of my favorites. Favors are a nice touch, but let's be honest - no one needs one! Instead, what better way to spend that few hundred bucks than a donation to one of your favorite organizations? Make a nice framed sign or put a note on the menu card announcing your donation in your guests' honor. Decide on an environmental organization for extra green credits. (Hidden bonus: this is also ideal for time-crunched couples.)
- Eat organically. Talk to your caterer to see what organic and local farm options they have. Feel good about what you eat!
- Celebrate generously. Register online through programs such as the I Do Foundation, where a percentage of gift purchases goes to support a charity of your choice. How cool is that.
Going green doesn't have to be a all-or-nothing choice. Making mindful, eco-friendly choices in a couple of key areas can really make a difference. Now that's something to feel good about.